Sunday 29 November 2009

Exhibition in Brussels, Belgium.



Exhibited a couple of art work in Brussels.

Shown above is an experimental typography art work that came from a reflection and search of personal identity in London. I extracted a random paragraph from a glossy English magazine bought at a newstand in London, and attempt to simulate Chinese characters out of the latin / roman characters, distorting individual characters as and when necessary.

It doesn't look anything like Chinese characters to me but again.. like I mentioned, it was an attempt. It was a process to find the "Chineseness" in an English world. Although someone(a Belgian) at the exhibition told me it did somewhat look like Chinese characters to him from far.

I think this work represents the questioning of my personal identity as a Singaporean in London.

Silk screen on paper.

There have been some interest in the work and I'm now thinking of producing a few copies for sale.









The exhibition was held in the beautiful Art Deco style building - Museum of Musical Instrument (MIM), renowned for it's collection of over 1500 musical instruments. The whole building was made out of girded steel and glass.

I wished I had my DSLR with me to capture some of the architecture details although I think I would have been too exhausted to concentrate on any photography as we were all busy with getting ready for the exhibition.

No comments:

Post a Comment